Friday, September 2, 2011

This Is A Real Shocker

This will come as a big surprise to most of you, but some big name NASCAR drivers aren’t too fond of Obama. Shocking, I know:
President Barack Obama will honor NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and the 11 other Chase drivers from last year in a White House ceremony on Wednesday – but nearly half of the 2010 playoff contenders won’t be there.

NASCAR said Thursday that five drivers — Greg Biffle, Kurt Busch, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick and Tony Stewart – will not be attending the White House visit due to “schedule conflicts.

Astonishing, isn’t it?

I’ve never understood what’s so fascinating about an auto race. If I’m ever in the mood to watch cars go vroom, I figure I can just go gape at a fuckin’ freeway. What’s the difference?

And who gets the credit for winning the race? The driver, the car, the pit crew? Is it the people or the machine? All of the above, I guess. I really don’t know. The good news is, I really don’t care. I’d personally rather watch flies fuck. It’s even more frenetic and certainly more educational, I think.

At any rate, the flies wouldn’t be squandering a finite natural resource at a time when demand for said resource is gradually outstripping supply, which will lead to all sorts of pleasant consequences, like higher gas prices, higher food prices, more drilling, more spills, more wars in the Middle East, more political power for oil companies …

But apart from that, watching a bunch of rednecks buzz around in a circle for several hours on a Sunday afternoon is good clean fun!

And then there’s this:

For a sport that prides itself on patriotism, having so many drivers turn down the president’s invitation simply seems strange.

Yeah, it’s strange all right. I just can’t figure it out. I always thought the NASCAR circuit was a bastion of cosmopolitan open mindedness. The idea that five of its drivers don’t want to meet Obama at the White House just floors me. What do you suppose could have gotten into their heads? Do you think it’s the company they keep? I dunno:

It just beats the hell out of me.

No comments: